Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Hey everyone! Welcome back, the site is back and your more than welcome to post something if you like. More details to come!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm
Latest topics
» Wow! What will this do to the boating world?
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby rellison8 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

» Why I like to do things myself!
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby Cowboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

» New Tires
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby fishrman Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

» Damage at Okoboji
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby rellison8 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

» Law? Boat livewell and plug?
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby brittlab Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 pm

» Anybody else see the article in Iowa Game & Fish?
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby fishrman Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

» A Handful!
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby Chopper Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

» Weather Bug!
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby rellison8 Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm

» Into the DSLR arena!!!
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby rellison8 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

» bass tournament bashing article
sustainable funding... long but good info Emptyby Todd_NE Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Sponsor Links!
BassTackleDepot.com Bass fishing lures and bass tackle.
Weather
Top posters
rellison8
sustainable funding... long but good info Vote_lcapsustainable funding... long but good info Voting_barsustainable funding... long but good info Vote_rcap 
Chopper
sustainable funding... long but good info Vote_lcapsustainable funding... long but good info Voting_barsustainable funding... long but good info Vote_rcap 
fishrman
Cowboy
bustinbeaks
brittlab
Basshawk
hookemhard
hoserhawk
Todd_NE
Statistics
We have 27 registered users
The newest registered user is Upandinu

Our users have posted a total of 51282 messages in 4210 subjects
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

sustainable funding... long but good info

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

Number of posts : 2819
Job/hobbies : Shift Supervisor at Cargill....... fishing, hunting, camping and spending time with my dogs, family and friends
Registration date : 2008-04-09

sustainable funding... long but good info Empty
PostSubject: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm

I found this another site. I've been wanting to learn more about this. I will be voting yes for sure in November!

FACT SHEET: Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund
Iowa‟s Water & Land Legacy Amendment is a constitutional amendment on the ballot in November 2010. It creates the Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund. The Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Trust Fund will provide a permanent, dedicated and accountable funding mechanism for protection of water quality, conservation of agricultural soils and improvement of natural areas in Iowa, including fish and wildlife habitat.
THE NEED – Iowa must invest properly in natural resources

 Our water quality is poor. DNR data shows 53% of waters rate „poor‟; EPA data shows 439 „impaired‟ waters in 2008

 We must conserve our fertile soils. Iowa loses an average of 5 tons of soil per acre each year due to erosion

 Wildlife habitat is scarce. Iowa ranks 49th of U.S. states in public lands; hundreds of Iowa‟s animals and plants are threatened or endangered

 Iowa‟s current conservation spending ranks us near the bottom – 47 out of 50 states
THE PLAN – Establishing the trust fund provides a permanent, reliable and accountable method for protecting vital natural resources.

 The trust fund is dedicated to water quality, soil conservation and other conservation and enhancement programs (see allocations on reverse of this page)

 The trust fund is permanent – a constitutionally-protected mechanism dedicated exclusively to natural resources

 The trust fund is accountable to Iowans through a public oversight committee, annual audits and performance reviews for the legislature

 This plan is the result of three years of research and legislative work

 Voters must approve the trust fund on Nov. 2, 2010
THE MONEY – Establishing the trust fund does not raise taxes

 The amendment on the ballot creates a dedicated, reliable mechanism for funding natural resources; it does not include a tax increase

 Trust Fund revenue will come from allocating 3/8 of one cent from sales tax revenue the next time the Iowa Legislature approves a sales tax increase.

 The state will decide when the economy is healthy enough to invest sales tax revenue in the trust fund
CONSENSUS – Iowans support these goals

 90% of Iowans say protecting land, water and recreational opportunities is critical to the state‟s economic vitality, and 75% support increased funding for those purposes

 More than 90% of Iowa‟s legislators voted “yes” twice to create the enabling legislation in 2008 and 2009

 Nationally, 75% of conservation measures have passed, most of which included new revenue; conservation funding measures passed recently in Minnesota, Missouri and Johnson County, Iowa
The measure will go to Iowans for a vote on Nov. 2, 2010.

Mark Langgin – Campaign Manager
iowaswaterandlandlegacy@gmail.com
Roz Lehman – Field Director
rlehman@tnc.org
www.iowaswaterandlandlegacy.org

Trust Fund Allocations
The Sustainable Natural Resources Advisory Committee reviewed and researched current budgets and funding streams and concluded that an additional $150 million per year, strategically used at state and local levels, would go a long way toward meeting Iowa‟s natural resources and recreation needs.
The following categories were identified by the Advisory Committee and supported by the Interim Legislative Committee. These represent increases to baseline funding to meet current needs. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources estimates that at least two thirds of the funding will be available to farmers and other private landowners for voluntary conservation incentives for clean water and soil conservation.

 Agriculture and Land Stewardship. $30 million additional to meet the identified demand for the soil conservation and watershed protection programs the Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship administers. This money would provide additional technical assistance to soil and water conservation districts, develop a stream bank and buffer stabilization project, initiate a state-funded CRP-type program to keep lands in hay and grass, and start a tillage management incentives program to assure adequate crop residue levels in areas impacted by demand for cellulosic ethanol production. This new money would also be used to support environmental agricultural and livestock stewardship.

 Natural Resources Management. $35 million for identified needs in state parks, state preserves, wildlife areas, state forests, wildlife habitats, wildlife diversity program, access for hunting and other recreational activities, technical assistance from forestry, fisheries and wildlife biologists through private landowner programs and incentives, water trails, river and streams programs, natural resources outreach including natural history interpretation in the parks and natural areas, angling opportunities, conservation law enforcement, recreational safety programs, etc. The Department of Natural Resources is the state agency charged with conserving and enhancing Iowa‟s natural resources and providing quality outdoor recreational opportunities.

 REAP (Resource Enhancement and Protection). $20 million additional funds to meet the demands on REAP. The committee also recommends full funding of REAP to the authorized level. This would provide a total of $40 million from current and future sources. This program provides funds for projects that enhance our natural, cultural, and recreational resources across all of the state.

 Local Conservation Partnership Program. $20 million for habitat protection and conservation, infrastructure needs, conservation education, and nature interpretation at the local level. Dedicating these funds is part of a strategic effort to best address conservation needs in local communities. Funds would be made available to county conservation boards ($12 million), nongovernmental organizations ($5 million), and cities ($3 million).

 Watershed Protection. $20 million to improve and encourage a watershed approach to solving water quality environmental problems. Watershed protection includes encouragement of watershed groups, targeted projects, wetland restoration, and runoff filtration management techniques.

 Lakes Restoration. $10 million additional for lake restoration needs. Iowans value water quality and desire safe, healthy lakes that provide a full complement of aesthetic, ecological, and recreational benefits. Local involvement and watershed protection are essential components of all successful lake restoration projects.

 Trails. $15 million for the addition of new hiking, walking, biking, and water trails, and maintenance of existing trails. At this time, Iowa‟s trails are owned and managed by various entities such as county conservation boards, the state, cities, and non-profit organizations. These state investments in trails will be able to leverage additional federal, local and private funds.
Back to top Go down
bustinbeaks
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
bustinbeaks

Number of posts : 3220
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Glad you brought this up, Mike.

This is HUGE for the Sportsman of Iowa. It has been in the works for a couple years now.
Missouri and Minnesota both have similar programs and look at what they have going for them.

Right now, all we have is REAP and that hasn't been fully funded in quite sometime.
Back to top Go down
hookemhard
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
hookemhard

Number of posts : 2235
Job/hobbies : Hunting and Fishing are my hobbies. In my spare time I work as a Product Manager.
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 12:57 pm

I know there are a lot who disagree, but I would gladly pay a little more sales tax if I knew the DNR was getting their share. I would like to see them get even MORE than the proposed 3/8 of one cent. But then I also think there should be at least 1 lake over 600 acres in every county roll eyes rof !
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

Number of posts : 12143
Job/hobbies : Manage Lumberyard/ Fishin & Wheelin

PostSubject: Re: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 pm

hookemhard wrote:
I know there are a lot who disagree, but I would gladly pay a little more sales tax if I knew the DNR was getting their share. I would like to see them get even MORE than the proposed 3/8 of one cent. But then I also think there should be at least 1 lake over 600 acres in every county roll eyes rof !

All I can say is I like the way this man thinks! :woo_hoo:

Hookemhard for Governor!
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishn4fun.net
hookemhard
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
hookemhard

Number of posts : 2235
Job/hobbies : Hunting and Fishing are my hobbies. In my spare time I work as a Product Manager.
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 1:28 pm

rellison8 wrote:
hookemhard wrote:

Hookemhard for Governor!

And a chicken in every pot! lol
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

Number of posts : 5312
Job/hobbies : Hunting and fishing are my primary hobbies with lots of secondary hobbies.

PostSubject: Re: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info EmptySat Apr 03, 2010 10:39 pm

rellison8 wrote:
hookemhard wrote:

Hookemhard for Governor!
X2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sustainable funding... long but good info   sustainable funding... long but good info Empty

Back to top Go down

sustainable funding... long but good info
Page 1 of 1