Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Hey everyone! Welcome back, the site is back and your more than welcome to post something if you like. More details to come!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm
Latest topics
» Wow! What will this do to the boating world?
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby rellison8 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

» Why I like to do things myself!
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby Cowboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

» New Tires
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby fishrman Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

» Damage at Okoboji
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby rellison8 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

» Law? Boat livewell and plug?
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby brittlab Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 pm

» Anybody else see the article in Iowa Game & Fish?
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby fishrman Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

» A Handful!
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby Chopper Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

» Weather Bug!
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby rellison8 Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm

» Into the DSLR arena!!!
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby rellison8 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

» bass tournament bashing article
Into the DSLR arena!!! Emptyby Todd_NE Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Sponsor Links!
BassTackleDepot.com Bass fishing lures and bass tackle.
Weather
Top posters
rellison8
Into the DSLR arena!!! Vote_lcapInto the DSLR arena!!! Voting_barInto the DSLR arena!!! Vote_rcap 
Chopper
Into the DSLR arena!!! Vote_lcapInto the DSLR arena!!! Voting_barInto the DSLR arena!!! Vote_rcap 
fishrman
Cowboy
bustinbeaks
brittlab
Basshawk
hookemhard
hoserhawk
Todd_NE
Statistics
We have 27 registered users
The newest registered user is Upandinu

Our users have posted a total of 51282 messages in 4210 subjects
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Into the DSLR arena!!!

Go down 
+3
brittlab
fishrman
rellison8
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

Number of posts : 12143
Job/hobbies : Manage Lumberyard/ Fishin & Wheelin
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Into the DSLR arena!!! Empty
PostSubject: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Hey all,

Well, after talking about a camera for a long time and being tired of cell phone pics and so on I have finally stepped into the digital camera game again.

I wasn't going to spend a million dollars either but I wanted something good, something I could put good lenses on and take good pics with.

I decided on the Nikon D5100 DSLR. I found one with almost no use on it from a friend of a friend they wanted to get rid of cause they needed some cash and never used it.

I got 3 different lenses with it as well as 3 batterys, the wireless remote system and all the bells and whistles. This thing is pretty sweet. I just got it today.

Now I have work to do to get good with it and learn about all the different things that came with it. Half the attachments and such I don't even have a clue with they do yet at this point.

So anyone wanting to give tips I am all ears.

Amazing what you can spend on lenses for these bad boys. I have looked at ones as high as $17,000. eek 

Just in lenses alone that came with this camera its in the thousand dollar range.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishn4fun.net
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 3:33 pm

I have 4 different tele converters also. I am guessing with little research on them yet this must be pcs you can add onto you telephoto lens to increase the zoom amounts and so on. Interesting stuff cause I am certainly interested in taking some long range photos at sporting events and things of that nature.

The largest lens I have now is this lens and its pretty big but always looking to get closer.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2197/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-55-300mm-f%252F4.5-5.6G-ED-VR.html
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

Number of posts : 5312
Job/hobbies : Hunting and fishing are my primary hobbies with lots of secondary hobbies.

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Congratulations! I am envious! My best advise I can think of right now is to join this web site and do your searching around for any questions you might have and if you can't find the answer, ask. Most of the people are very helpful.
http://www.dpreview.com/
You should get some great shots with that outfit!
Yes, the teleconverters are exactly what it sounds like. They will add on zoom capabilities but often times, you are better off not using them as they can also take away some from the image quality. Sometimes you can get better shots with your zoom lens and then just blow it up when you edit it.
Where's Prime Focus when you need him! He is the camera GURU of GURU'S!
Anxious to see some of your shots. They might frown on you trying to take it into the stadium with you tomorrow though. They don't seem to like the bigger cameras. They let me take mine in but mine is a sort of crossover type digital camera. I did get some pretty good shots last week with it though. It has, in affect a 624 mm zoom optical lens with about a 3000mm digital zoom. Neat little camera.
Back to top Go down
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

Number of posts : 2819
Job/hobbies : Shift Supervisor at Cargill....... fishing, hunting, camping and spending time with my dogs, family and friends

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Sweet deal! looking forward to seeing your pics
Back to top Go down
hotrod
Senior Member!
Senior Member!
hotrod

Number of posts : 873
Job/hobbies : I'm a teacher, but love bass fishing, panfishing, ice fishing, and writing about the outdoors.
Registration date : 2008-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 11:38 am

That is awesome! Should make some sweet videos too right?

Now for a good tripod, so you can stream LIVE your fishing trips on Wednesday when the rest of us suckers are still at work! bang head 
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishingwithtoddreed.com
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

Number of posts : 6549

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Sounds like a Nice setup. I'm waiting to find a deal like that someday, I've always wanted to get in the game.
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.bassmaster.com&qu
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Here is just one of a bunch of family photos we took with it today at Pollmiller.  

Still have a ton of work to do with the editing software to get good with it.  I took this using the remote.  Pretty handy having that remote.
Into the DSLR arena!!! DSC_0023_zpsef1cbddc

Last edited by rellison8 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Chopper wrote:
Sounds like a Nice setup.  I'm waiting to find a deal like that someday,  I've always wanted to get in the game.
Yeah, crazy deal. I almost feel bad I got the deal I did. Granted the people needed some cash and I helped them out but once I figured up the cost of all the lenses, teleconverters, camera body, batteries and so on this bag of stuff is worth likely over $3000.00 and I gave them $300.00 and they got what they needed out of it.

I guess as long as they are happy I shouldn't worry about it but I got one heck of a deal.
Back to top Go down
Darrin
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Darrin

Number of posts : 1413
Job/hobbies : Machinist
Registration date : 2008-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:17 pm

WOW! $300...that's crazy! Heck of a score there.
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

Job/hobbies : Hunting and fishing are my primary hobbies with lots of secondary hobbies.

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 9:45 pm

300.00 eek 
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Yeah, I don't know what else to say other than I got a good deal.

I posted that picture on Nikon's forum that I became a member of so that I could talk to a lot of Nikon pro's about the lenses, and shots and things I should do differently and so on and so forth. Amazingly enough so far I have got almost no criticism of it so far. Most think its an amazing shot considering it was day 1 with the camera. Only thing mentioned is I could have got a little more background in the pic at the top and sides but the focus of the subjects vs the softer out of focus background is about perfect.

Granted I have spent countless hours over the last week reading and watching tons of You Tube videos from photographers using the D5100 as well as tons of reviews from places that do comparisons on camera bodies, lenses and you name it. There is so much good info out there. Its no different than good fishing info. If you take the time and do your homework you can learn so much in short period of time.

I have some other great candid shots of the kids in the timber as we were searching for other stops to take pics and so on. Candid shots are always much better in my opinion over posed shots. Much more natural looking and true facial expressions and so on. Posed pictures are very hard to make look natural because they aren't. Really no easy when you throw 2 dogs in the mix and get them to look the right direction at the right time and not wanting to jump around and so on. Very happy we got the pics we did with the dogs. Not sure how we convinced them both to be looking at the camera as much as we did.

Either way it was fun, kids enjoyed hiking through the trails looking for the places for the best shots and so on. Certainly had them more interested in doing it than they otherwise would have been.
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 pm

It is a big challenge to get kids to look the direction you want them to when you want them to. Dogs as well. I have been taking pics almost all my life and there isn't anything much harder than getting a good candid shot of kids. You just got to take several. That is the great thing about digital, you don't have to worry about taking to many shots like we used to with film.
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm

My bad on moving the photo. Its back up now.
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I was going to mention the pic was gone but I want sure the reason you got rid of it. Anyway, it looks great! The only thing I can nit pik at would be the shadow on Bonnie's face. Since you asked, not trying to be a prick. Lighting is so tough with the sun, hard not to be squinting or stuck in a shadow. But anyway... Holy chit Collin is big! He looks like a 20 year old!
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Chopper wrote:
I was going to mention the pic was gone but I want sure the reason you got rid of it.  Anyway,  it looks great!  The only thing I can nit pik at would be the shadow on Bonnie's face. Since you asked,  not trying to be a prick. Lighting is so tough with the sun,  hard not to be squinting or stuck in a shadow.  But anyway... Holy chit Collin is big! He looks like a 20 year old!  
Yeah, due to the sun being to the left of us in that pic it put the shadow of Savanna on Bonnie.  
I could have fixed that with a different lens and positioning the camera much closer to us.  Then using the flash to try and add some fill flash into the picture covering up some of that shadow.  With the 55-300mm lens its just too far away for fill flash to really be affective without a bigger flash.  Something that I am already looking to invest in.  It takes a big flash to make much difference when taking pics in high light conditions and outdoors.  
Or I could have moved the jettie to a different position.  That might have been a little more challenging. eek   

Yep, Collin is a big dude.  I have to assume he is about done growing.  I hope so cause he is going through cloths like its water.   I am the tallest in my family and no one is overly tall in his mom's family either so I am not sure how much taller he can get really.  He is wearing a size 12 shoe.  I only wear an 11 1/2.   So who knows.  
Matt on the other hand just don't seem to have hit is big growth spurt yet.  I am sure its coming but for now he is still little Matt.
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:52 pm

Yeah Matt looks about the same, I know a haircut will make him look older! Gunner didn't want to every cut his but we finally got him to and now he's fine. I didn't like Gunners hair long but I figured I'd let him be a kid and find whatever look he was after. Lol
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Yeah, Matt goes through this phase every fall where he don't want it cut.  Until around Christmas time and then he is sick of it and having to comb his hair and wash it every morning before school so he can make it look like something more than a train wreck and so on.   Long hair is a pain in the ass on a kid.   They don't want to do crap with it themselves so it ends up in giant knots.    

My constantly giving him crap about his hippy surfer hair might have something to do with when he cuts it. whistling

Either way Savanna needs to grow some yet or she is soon to the smallest in the family. All of them are skinny as tooth picks. Probably throw all 3 of them on a scale and have a hard time knocking down 200#. Little drown rats. I suppose thats much better than the alternative.
Back to top Go down
Cowboy
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Cowboy

Number of posts : 3713
Job/hobbies : Civil Engineering/Fish and Hunt Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:00 am

Man, Collin is gonna pass you up! That is cool. Love the pic too, glad Savannah was around for it. Is she back in the area now, or returning back north?
You really got a steal, I was thinking about buying a good camera for the family for Christmas this year, but I know it will be like anything else and I won't find the time to use it right. Might have to look at the higher end of the point and shoot ones, I don't think I want to drop 3G on a toy we won't use properly.
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:16 am

Cowboy wrote:
Man, Collin is gonna pass you up!  That is cool.  Love the pic too, glad Savannah was around for it.  Is she back in the area now, or returning back north?
You really got a steal, I was thinking about buying a good camera for the family for Christmas this year, but I know it will be like anything else and I won't find the time to use it right.  Might have to look at the higher end of the point and shoot ones, I don't think I want to drop 3G on a toy we won't use properly.
Shannon,
Look at some of the so called "bridge cameras". Some of them have great optics and powerful zooms. I am using a Panasonic FZ 200 right now. The "optical zoom" with a Leica lens goes from a 25mm equivalent to 600mm.
Nice to have the wide angle for close ups or wide angle distant shots and the zoom is incredible.
This tells you everything you need to know and is a great learning site on any camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200
--
Let me know and I might be talked out of mind to get a newer model.
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

Cowboy wrote:
Man, Collin is gonna pass you up!  That is cool.  Love the pic too, glad Savannah was around for it.  Is she back in the area now, or returning back north?
You really got a steal, I was thinking about buying a good camera for the family for Christmas this year, but I know it will be like anything else and I won't find the time to use it right.  Might have to look at the higher end of the point and shoot ones, I don't think I want to drop 3G on a toy we won't use properly.
She is living in Ft Madison again. So she is around the area for now. She was living in Iowa City for a few months and got on as a customer service/tech rep for verizon and they had an opening in Keokuk at one of there call centers so her and her boyfriend moved back to Ft Madison.

I think as far as the camera goes there is no way I ever would have thrown down that kinda money for a camera either but now that I have it it will be getting a lot of use. Its almost daily that I find something that I can use it for.

One thing I would say is that if your ever in the market for a DSLR you might want to consider frequenting pawn shops around the area. I myself never think about going in them but you'd be surprised how often nice cameras show up in pawn shops and the pricing on them. I know Savanna got her Cannon DSLR from one. Don't remember the model but its a very nice camera too and she got a great deal on it. Just something to think about. Don't know if any of you have decent pawn shops in your area but I know there are a couple in Burlington that have some very nice quality stuff in them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Into the DSLR arena!!!   Into the DSLR arena!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Into the DSLR arena!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Outdoor news! :: Outdoor news!-
Jump to: