Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Hey everyone! Welcome back, the site is back and your more than welcome to post something if you like. More details to come!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm
Latest topics
» Wow! What will this do to the boating world?
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby rellison8 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

» Why I like to do things myself!
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby Cowboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

» New Tires
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby fishrman Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

» Damage at Okoboji
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby rellison8 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

» Law? Boat livewell and plug?
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby brittlab Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 pm

» Anybody else see the article in Iowa Game & Fish?
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby fishrman Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

» A Handful!
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby Chopper Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

» Weather Bug!
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby rellison8 Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm

» Into the DSLR arena!!!
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby rellison8 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

» bass tournament bashing article
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Emptyby Todd_NE Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Sponsor Links!
BassTackleDepot.com Bass fishing lures and bass tackle.
Weather
Top posters
rellison8
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Vote_lcapYou gotta be chitting me, Right? Voting_barYou gotta be chitting me, Right? Vote_rcap 
Chopper
You gotta be chitting me, Right? Vote_lcapYou gotta be chitting me, Right? Voting_barYou gotta be chitting me, Right? Vote_rcap 
fishrman
Cowboy
bustinbeaks
brittlab
Basshawk
hookemhard
hoserhawk
Todd_NE
Statistics
We have 27 registered users
The newest registered user is Upandinu

Our users have posted a total of 51282 messages in 4210 subjects
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

You gotta be chitting me, Right?

Go down 
+3
Cowboy
Chopper
bustinbeaks
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bustinbeaks
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
bustinbeaks

Number of posts : 3220
Registration date : 2008-04-12

You gotta be chitting me, Right? Empty
PostSubject: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 pm

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=12849375&nav=menu83_1

Flooding could allow Asian carp into Lake Rathbun

Associated Press - July 21, 2010 6:44 PM ET

RATHBUN, Iowa (AP) - The Iowa Department of Natural Resources says the current flooding could allow invasive Asian carp to get into Lake Rathbun.

The department said Wednesday the big head and silver carp are in the Chariton River, and have been found below the spillway of the dam that forms the lake. Since carp seek out flowing water and swim into the current, if the water rises high enough, the fish could get into the lake through some of the smaller feeder streams - or even the spillway itself.

Repeated heavy rains in and around Lake Rathbun have doubled its size to 22,000 acres.

DNR fisheries chief Joe Larscheid says carp are definitely not wanted in Lake Rathbun, which is already suffering from a zebra mussel infestation.

Information from: The Gazette, http://www.gazetteonline.com/

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

Number of posts : 6549
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:53 am

Someday all we'll be able to do is Bow fish...

If they know it's a possibility, why aren't they taking measures to stop them? :scratch: Nah, lets sit back and see if it happens... roll eyes
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.bassmaster.com&qu
Cowboy
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Cowboy

Number of posts : 3713
Job/hobbies : Civil Engineering/Fish and Hunt Iowa

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:02 am

These freakin carp are a serious problem, I read they are worried about them getting into the Great Lakes, but they couldn't get the government to step up and do anything.
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:18 am

I heard they have found them in the Great Lakes as of recently.

Asian Carp Past Electric Barriers
Back to top Go down
Cowboy
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Cowboy

Number of posts : 3713
Job/hobbies : Civil Engineering/Fish and Hunt Iowa

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 am

That was the same article I read, or similar. I think it says they are 7 miles from the Great Lakes, but either way, its only a matter of time.
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

Number of posts : 2438
Job/hobbies : Work at UIHC in Bioengineering as a BMET Sr, CBET

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 am

I know they put up electric fencing across the Ill. river a few years back in hopes of keeping them out of Lake Michigan. Apparently the carp finally found a way around it.
Aren't there some of those flying silvers in pool 17,B? I thought you said there were or at least heard there was.
I haven't seen any in the upper pools yet (9 and 10 specifically) but with all the rollers up the length of the Mississippi this year it won't take long. Sonsabitches!
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

Number of posts : 5312
Job/hobbies : Hunting and fishing are my primary hobbies with lots of secondary hobbies.

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 am

I am afraid it is just a matter of time. They will be everywhere. Hard to find a place the regular ole carp isn't these days so, I am afraid, they can try as they might but it is inevitable. Unless, we can get B out after em on a more consistent basis instead of chasing bass. cheers
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:51 am

I haven't heard of, or seen any Silver's, just Bighead. And they jump too, but not like the Silver's do.

I had one Bighead about jump into my face one day, and Trav had one jump on his back in my boat when we were idling along in the breaks. :sex: rof It was funny as all get out, but I'll admit, I about chit myself as well! I was up in the front of the boat as Trav was trying to but he was all hung up in his crankbait! rof

When the Silver's show up it'll be game over. I'm bringing out the shotgun and dynamite for that trash!
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:53 am

fishrman wrote:
Unless, we can get B out after em on a more consistent basis instead of chasing bass. cheers

You all chip and buy me the rig and I'll get on it. As long as the bass ain't bitin. Heck the river is screwed up now days more than it's normal, so I should have plenty of time to shoot them.

Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

Number of posts : 12143
Job/hobbies : Manage Lumberyard/ Fishin & Wheelin

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 am

What can you do?

I think this is honestly about how everyone trying to fight them feel.

These things are huge, numerous, and rediculously strong swimmers. They are in all our major river systems and that is such a vast area, I see no way humanly possible to get rid of them. Maybe bombs but even then I would guess some will slip thru the cracks.

Seriously, I really do wonder, what are we to do, snakehead are the next thing that we are all going to start dealing with. Those things are no joke either, they are flippin mean and they are in many US waters now. Those things will decimate a fish population. These are all things that I really wonder about and have no answers too. Is this just the evolution of our planet happening right in front of our eyes. Maybe in another 5 generations there won't be a Bassmaster Elite Series, they may be fishing for some totally different species that is all there is to fish for or is the new apex preditor in most bodies of water.

I obviously don't like it since I fish in waters that are being taken over by these species, but I honestly don't know how they would stop them at this point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishn4fun.net
Todd_NE
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Todd_NE

Number of posts : 1453
Job/hobbies : Healthcare Administration
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Where are the Hmong when you need 'em.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reelwalleye.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You gotta be chitting me, Right?   You gotta be chitting me, Right? Empty

Back to top Go down

You gotta be chitting me, Right?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Outdoor news! :: Outdoor news!-
Jump to: