Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Hey everyone! Welcome back, the site is back and your more than welcome to post something if you like. More details to come!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm
Latest topics
» Wow! What will this do to the boating world?
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby rellison8 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

» Why I like to do things myself!
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby Cowboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

» New Tires
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby fishrman Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

» Damage at Okoboji
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby rellison8 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

» Law? Boat livewell and plug?
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby brittlab Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 pm

» Anybody else see the article in Iowa Game & Fish?
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby fishrman Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

» A Handful!
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby Chopper Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

» Weather Bug!
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby rellison8 Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm

» Into the DSLR arena!!!
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby rellison8 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

» bass tournament bashing article
Finally getting my rock! Emptyby Todd_NE Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Sponsor Links!
BassTackleDepot.com Bass fishing lures and bass tackle.
Weather
Top posters
rellison8
Finally getting my rock! Vote_lcapFinally getting my rock! Voting_barFinally getting my rock! Vote_rcap 
Chopper
Finally getting my rock! Vote_lcapFinally getting my rock! Voting_barFinally getting my rock! Vote_rcap 
fishrman
Cowboy
bustinbeaks
brittlab
Basshawk
hookemhard
hoserhawk
Todd_NE
Statistics
We have 27 registered users
The newest registered user is Upandinu

Our users have posted a total of 51282 messages in 4210 subjects
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Finally getting my rock!

Go down 
+3
Chopper
Basshawk
rellison8
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

Number of posts : 12143
Job/hobbies : Manage Lumberyard/ Fishin & Wheelin
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Finally getting my rock! Empty
PostSubject: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Hey all,

Well today was the start of a much anticipated (by me anyways) renovation at Pollmiller. They started hauling in big chunk rock and an excavator is there starting to dig back the banks and some of the silt from around the edges of the lake. Looking forward to having a lot of rock added around the lake and also curious to see where they lay in the fishing jetties at.

Here's a couple phone pics I snapped off at lunch time.
Finally getting my rock! 2010-10-20_11-44-15_537

Finally getting my rock! 2010-10-20_11-45-24_42
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishn4fun.net
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

Number of posts : 2438
Job/hobbies : Work at UIHC in Bioengineering as a BMET Sr, CBET

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Did they lower the lake at all to do that? A lot of times that is a winter project. Should help the fishing no mwtter when they do it.
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Nope, no lowering of the lake. Not sure if they really have a way to lower it. I suppose they do. The way I understand it they are basically just going in around the edges as far as the boom on the trackhoe can go. Which is plenty far to rake back all of the silt around the edges cause the lake has fairly steep banks so if you go out too far it gets deep anyways. I will be interested to see how the fishing jettie construction goes but I am guessing they will just keep dumping stuff on top of other stuff till it comes to the surface. I don't really know how that works when the lake isn't empty.

I'm sure I'll keep you all informed on it.
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm

That is pretty much how they built the ones on Macbride. They start filling the lake in with big rock and gravel at the bank and keep moving out 'til they are done. As they move out the trucks flatten the jetty like a road. You get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

Number of posts : 6549

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Sweet, be interesting to see what all they do with it. Better go buy some extra jigs!
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.bassmaster.com&qu
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

Number of posts : 5312
Job/hobbies : Hunting and fishing are my primary hobbies with lots of secondary hobbies.

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Now we just got to pray they don't find shad in it! roll eyes
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I was thinking today how a fresh start for a lake like P might not be all bad.

I'd like to see them get some aquatic vegetation going myself.

Get some grasses growing in these lakes.
Back to top Go down
Cowboy
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Cowboy

Number of posts : 3713
Job/hobbies : Civil Engineering/Fish and Hunt Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 am

Very cool Randy, I bet they load up that main point, sure looks like it is eroding the most of anywhere. I would assume the fish will associate to the new rock pretty quick. Always seems to me that when a new tree falls in the water the fish aren't usually in it until the second year when all the "green" has died away.
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 am

Cowboy wrote:
Very cool Randy, I bet they load up that main point, sure looks like it is eroding the most of anywhere. I would assume the fish will associate to the new rock pretty quick. Always seems to me that when a new tree falls in the water the fish aren't usually in it until the second year when all the "green" has died away.

Yeah. Your right about that point. It has taken a beating over the years and is half its original size. I think if they didn't do something they would loose that point eventually. It has made that point pretty shallow a lot farther out into the lake than it used to be. I'd like to see them put rock a good 100yds out into the lake off that point but I don't think they are going to do it just for me. sad

I have seen the lake over the years really creep back all the way around the banks. There are places where I was a kid that I walked trails to get to a fishing spot that are now in the water. I have also seen the lake go from a max depth that I can remember seeing on sonar of around 33' and I have been all over that place and know right where the deepest water is but I can only find around 27 to 28' now. So that gives you an idea over the last 15 years how much silt has entered the lake even though it is well protected and has a very small water shed.

Something needed to be done before a lot more damage was done. Just good to see them doing it.
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Little rock starting to go in.
Finally getting my rock! 2010-10-21_11-40-57_252
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

Job/hobbies : Hunting and fishing are my primary hobbies with lots of secondary hobbies.

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Lookin good!
Back to top Go down
Cowboy
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:30 pm

Very cool, that is going to be awesome! Glad to see they are doing it right!
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:19 pm

Well I just got done talking to Ranger Clint for a while this morning. We talked about the trout stockings and he said some of those fish will be as big as 4#'s. That's some big trout if you ask me.

We then got to talking about fishing Pollmiller. I started talking about it not being quite cold enough yet and the guy he was with looked at me a little funny. He said you may not be able to fish it much colder case I am not sure how the boat ramp is going to work. Then they mention that they are in the process of starting to drop the lake. I thought it looked a little lower than normal on Monday but I didn't think to much of it. Guess they are going to drop the lake around 4' lower than it is now before they start the work around the dam area and fishing jettie.

So ice fishing could be real fun out there this winter if the lake is shrunk down that much more. Fish are gonna be running out of places to hide. happy :ice:
Back to top Go down
fishrman
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
fishrman

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh ya! That could make for some great ice fishin!
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

Number of posts : 6549

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Well it will be easier for everyone else too, as from the sounds of it, lake p gets more pressure on hard water than soft.

Oh and 4 lb trout !!! :shock:
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.bassmaster.com&qu
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Nov 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Chopper wrote:
Well it will be easier for everyone else too, as from the sounds of it, lake p gets more pressure on hard water than soft.

I would agree. On both accounts.

Better watch them bucket fillers.
Back to top Go down
bustinbeaks
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
bustinbeaks

Number of posts : 3220
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 10:23 am

rellison8 wrote:
Chopper wrote:

I would agree. On both accounts.

Better watch them bucket fillers.

Better get a bigger auger!
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Here are some pictures that I went and took around Pollmiller today. Its getting as low as I have ever seen it in my life.

Its kinda crazy to see the lake like that. Its not nearly as silted in as maybe I thought it was. There are a few areas but for the most part the banks still have a nice fall to them and a lot of good wood. Even some big wood I didn't know about.

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-27-46_899

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-27-57_932

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-28-07_927

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-30-45_524

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-31-01_765

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-33-35_629

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-33-53_363

Finally getting my rock! 2010-11-17_11-34-02_327
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Great pics, Randy. The ramp looks a little iffy for use. Is there much drop after the cement and does the rock go in far enough to launch?
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 2:55 pm

I agree Dave. Prolly why that one conservation guy was wondering how usable it would be.

I think you could maybe still launch a boat. It would be a mess though and I think I would want 4 x 4 just in case. I don't know how much farther down they are going. Still sounded like a lot of water was being pumped over the spillway so they aren't don't yet.

I am affraid my favorite brush pile from last winter is going to start poking out of the water here soon. Then everyone will know why I was fishing there. doh
Back to top Go down
Cowboy
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Cowboy

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm

Cool pics Randy. Wonder if they are gonna ad some rock along the dam, looks like it is getting a little thin, especially compared to all that new rock.
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Cowboy wrote:
Cool pics Randy. Wonder if they are gonna ad some rock along the dam, looks like it is getting a little thin, especially compared to all that new rock.

From what I understand yes. Also from where I was standing and took the dam picture there is going to be a rock jettie that on the end is t shaped the way I understand it and will extend quite a long ways out into the lake. Then on the to of the jetties flat part of the T there will be the big fishing dock that was attached to the bank before. Should be pretty interesting to see and fish.
Back to top Go down
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

Number of posts : 2819
Job/hobbies : Shift Supervisor at Cargill....... fishing, hunting, camping and spending time with my dogs, family and friends

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 am

neat pics. sucks about your secret brush pile!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally getting my rock!   Finally getting my rock! Empty

Back to top Go down

Finally getting my rock!
Page 1 of 1