Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Portal*Portal*  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Hey everyone! Welcome back, the site is back and your more than welcome to post something if you like. More details to come!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm
Latest topics
» Wow! What will this do to the boating world?
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby rellison8 Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:01 pm

» Why I like to do things myself!
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby Cowboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

» New Tires
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby fishrman Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 am

» Damage at Okoboji
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby rellison8 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

» Law? Boat livewell and plug?
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby brittlab Tue May 27, 2014 6:27 pm

» Anybody else see the article in Iowa Game & Fish?
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby fishrman Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 pm

» A Handful!
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby Chopper Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

» Weather Bug!
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby rellison8 Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm

» Into the DSLR arena!!!
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby rellison8 Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 am

» bass tournament bashing article
Fishing Deep Structure Emptyby Todd_NE Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Sponsor Links!
BassTackleDepot.com Bass fishing lures and bass tackle.
Weather
Top posters
rellison8
Fishing Deep Structure Vote_lcapFishing Deep Structure Voting_barFishing Deep Structure Vote_rcap 
Chopper
Fishing Deep Structure Vote_lcapFishing Deep Structure Voting_barFishing Deep Structure Vote_rcap 
fishrman
Cowboy
bustinbeaks
brittlab
Basshawk
hookemhard
hoserhawk
Todd_NE
Statistics
We have 27 registered users
The newest registered user is Upandinu

Our users have posted a total of 51282 messages in 4210 subjects
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Fishing Deep Structure

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

Number of posts : 6549
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Fishing Deep Structure Empty
PostSubject: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:17 pm

Experts: Elite Series Pros By Kevin Yokum

True or False? Fish move to deeper water during the summertime to deal with the heat.

Answer: True. And False.

According to the age-old theory, fish respond to environmental stimuli, and when water temperatures
escalate on the surface, bass seek out more comfortable conditions. Actually, oxygen content is
a limiting factor more important than temperature. But where oxygen is sufficient, many bass do
head for deep water in summer, and anglers who know exactly where bass are most likely to congregate
have a head start on the competition. Fishing deep structure doesn’t fortify the average
angler with confidence like fishing visible shoreline cover does. After all, most of us spend our time targeting
cover we can see and bump with our lures. So how can a fisherman gain the necessary con-
fidence for fishing deep? It all begins with an underwater view. Anglers must rely on underwater
eyes, and today’s advancing electronics are making it easier.
Fans attending the 2008 Bassmaster Classic in February may have heard champion Alton Jones
tout his Humminbird Side Imaging Sonar unit. Jones claimed that the device paints a clear picture
of a wide swath of underwater features, quickly revealing the locations of key deep structure.
Other pros, including up-and-coming angler Casey Ashley and veteran Tommy Biffle, are talking
up the relatively new Navionics mapping chips as vital for finding structure. Maps contained on
the chip reveal bottom contours of lakes across the country, assisting anglers in rapidly detecting potential
structure hot spots, and perhaps just as importantly, eliminating unproductive areas.
Kevin VanDam explained, “Navionics chips have made discovering productive areas in lakes
much easier, especially when searching for key underwater features.” Such electronic advancements
have become especially important when fishing new waters under the limited practice formats of
BASS tournaments.
Boyd Duckett, 2007 Classic champ, takes a unique approach by investigating areas where he
thinks anglers might be placing structure, such as long, sloping points. Duckett says, “On many
lakes, you can almost tell where guys will be placing brushpiles, and you can even tell which boat
docks are likely to have brush around them. Look for the ones which have rod holders, fishing lights
and minnow buckets on them. These visible clues reveal which docks are likely to offer the best underwater
structure.”

Optimal lures for structure

Any lure that can go deep will work on summer structure, but a surprising number of Elite Series anglers rely heavily on 10-inch plastic worms. Biffle,for example, uses gigantic worms to fish deep brushpiles, while another Oklahoman, Jeff Kriet, relies on them for a huge variety of structure situations. “I can fish a 10-inch worm with such confidence because I know it will locate and catch the largest bass holding on deep structure,” said Kriet. Confidence means a lot to bass anglers, particularly when fishing deep structure.
Tim Horton fishes the football jig for the same reason, adding, “I have every confidence when
throwing the football jig in deep cover that it will get the job done.” Duckett also likes
a heavy jig, which he claims often draws bigger bass from deep structure during summer. For fishing bare or rocky humps, Biffle likes a Carolina rig for fishability and extended time in the strike zone. Interestingly, tournament veteran Greg Hackney fishes over the top of deep structure with a variety of swimbaits and spoons to entice bass from cover. Other anglers simply choose to fish their strengths.
For example, VanDam likes crankbaits because they are quick and efficient
in covering vast areas of deep cover. “Cranking is what I like to do, and I have a ton of confidence
in deep cranking,” he said, adding that crankbaits are particularly effective when shad are a prominent
food source. Jones also likes a crankbait in summer, and he added a note of caution: “The largest bass holding
on isolated deep structure will often attack the first cast, so be ready when you make that initial
presentation.” Depth plays a key role in bait selection. Alabama Elite Series pro Steve Kennedy likes crankbaits, but only when fishing to a specific depth. “Crankbaits are only effective to about 18 feet,
so fishing them in deeper cover is a waste,” he points out. Terry “Big Show” Scroggins will only use crankbaits
on structure shallower than about 15 feet. Beyond that, he switches to a shaky head worm or football jig.

Knowing when to move

One of the toughest things about structure fishing is knowing when to move. An array of questions
haunts anglers when fishing deep structure: Are the fish there? Am I using the wrong lure? Wrong technique?
How long should I wait for bass to bite? Duckett points out that summertime bass usually
travel in groups, so on deep water structure it’s all or nothing. He says a few casts are all an angler needs
to determine if bass are on the structure. Duckett makes five casts to underwater structure, and not
getting a bite, moves on. Jones agrees in principle, but he invests a minimum of 10 minutes on a piece of structure in summer before moving on. But what if anglers can see bass on their fishfinders,
perhaps lots of bass, but can’t get them to bite? Pros know that timing plays a critical role in determining
when bass feed during the summertime, particularly those hanging out in deep cover.
Hackney recognizes the significance of timing and uses it in conjunction with his strategy
regarding current flow in reservoirs. Current plays a prominent role for bass feeding patterns in reservoirs,
although from the surface it’s not evident. When water pours through the dam, Hackney sees
an increase in bass activity triggered by subsequent underwater current, thus increasing the likelihood
of a strike. Fishing quality deep structure during periods of underwater current shifts should
produce excellent bass fishing. When Kriet sees numbers of bass on his depth-
finder screen but can’t get them to bite, he leaves those sites temporarily, returning later in the day,
especially during a high activity period. VanDam, however, uses baitfish as a guide. “I’ll
give a promising deep structure area even more time to produce if I see baitfish activity on my screen or
shad popping on the surface,” he explained. “Bass holding on structure will often become active in
response to bait activity, sometimes coming all the way to the surface.”
The other dilemma facing anglers is deciding when to switch baits. Some pros, including Scroggins,
shuffle through several baits in attempts to entice deep bass to bite, while others stick to one
or two favorites, opting to change locations if their favorite lures don’t produce.
Scroggins usually gives isolated deep structure about 15 minutes to produce. In that time, he’ll try
an assortment of different baits. He tests a variety of lure sizes, beginning with large profile baits in an
attempt to pick off the dominant lunker. Sometime during the rotation, he makes sure to fish his favorite
shaky head jig. Kriet also makes sure to throw an assortment of lures at structure, feeling the additional time spent can be well rewarded by establishing a secondary pattern.

Deep water giants

If you’re after relatively bigger bass in summer — and who isn’t? — these professional anglers all
agreed deep structure is the place to invest your time. Horton specifically targets schools of large bass
around deep cover, and if he catches one lunker there, he expects to find others nearby.
“Even if you’re not on a deep water pattern,” noted Duckett, “deep fish can pay off in a tournament.
It might help you pick up an essential bass or two to complete a limit, and it might even provide
a kicker fish that makes the difference between a quality finish and the winner’s circle.”
While bass can be caught shallow in summer, these fish also can be fickle and difficult to pattern.
Conversely, if you can establish a pattern deep, you can expect to catch more and bigger fish, the pros
say, despite the effects of weather, boat traffic or fishing pressure.
Back to top Go down
http://<a href="http://www.bassmaster.com&qu
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:23 pm

I know this is a long article, but I think it's something that we all need to add to our arsenal. I too get stuck in the rut of beating the bank and expecting to come up with a good bite, and when it doesn't happen I blame it on the conditions. The fish are always there, we just need to learn to get the bait in front of them, and if it means going deep, then I'll give it a shot. 8)

I know it's a little early for this, but it will be in the archives for later reference. If it ever warms up! :bang_head:
Back to top Go down
rellison8
Admin!
Admin!
rellison8

Number of posts : 12143
Job/hobbies : Manage Lumberyard/ Fishin & Wheelin

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Very good article again Branden.

I have been giving this a try and 2 different outings now including the one last night I have caught bass out of deep main lake brushpiles with a football jig. I am actually starting to get some confidence in it and I am really starting to learn to use my graphs more in locating and fishing that structure. I think it could come in handy when the water does get real warm. We'll just have to wait and see.

When I say deep I am talking 20 to 25' of water and I have never fished that deep with success before.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fishn4fun.net
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

Number of posts : 2819
Job/hobbies : Shift Supervisor at Cargill....... fishing, hunting, camping and spending time with my dogs, family and friends

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 5:13 pm

great article. i haven't much experience fishing deeper waters for bass other than a few caught while working a worm...keep the info coming
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

Number of posts : 2438
Job/hobbies : Work at UIHC in Bioengineering as a BMET Sr, CBET

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 6:36 pm

I have tried this before in some of the deeper lakes. Unfortunately I haven't had great success but I will keep trying. I might be wrong but I don't think these tactics are quite as sucessful in the "River" with its current or in lakes that stratify. As below the thermocline the oxygen levels decline rapidly. But that also depends at what depth that thermocline developes and if the lake "moves" enough to mix the oxygen in the water column. Belva Deere is a good lake for deep structure fishing. Sugema is also at certain times of the year, like now until July. And I am sure ther are plenty others.
Back to top Go down
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

Job/hobbies : Shift Supervisor at Cargill....... fishing, hunting, camping and spending time with my dogs, family and friends

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 8:01 pm

I would think brushy would be good as well with all the trees, rockpiles, old bridge pilings, roadbeds ect..
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 8:36 pm

brittlab wrote:
I would think brushy would be good as well with all the trees, rockpiles, old bridge pilings, roadbeds ect..

I also think Brushy would be good, Mike. Do you know if Brushy stratifies?
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 8:44 pm

Sure sounds like it Mike, if you know where they are and can't find the fish shallow give it a shot. (Thats my plan anyway)

And Dave as far as the river goes I think you're half right ;), but since I'm not a big lake fisherman so I don't have a good idea on fishing "deep". There aren't too many spots (in my pool) that have the depth you are talking about. But I do think the bigger fish go deeper in the river as far as backwaters go, and in the current they will just find a nice wingdam or shallow depression.

The river can be a funny place since current comes into the equation, but in the bigger backwaters or flats like in pool 19, that are slowed by pads, the fish seem to hold to cover and will hit the shallows as long as there is deeper water nearby for a quick escape. When it gets Hot in the late summer, I can hardly find any fish unless the spot is near deep water. But I'm thinking the fish are deeper and not feeding, or have moved to deeper cover/structure.
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Chopper wrote:
Sure sounds like it Mike, if you know where they are and can't find the fish shallow give it a shot. (Thats my plan anyway)

And Dave as far as the river goes I think you're half right ;), but since I'm not a big lake fisherman so I don't have a good idea on fishing "deep". There aren't too many spots (in my pool) that have the depth you are talking about. But I do think the bigger fish go deeper in the river as far as backwaters go, and in the current they will just find a nice wingdam or shallow depression.

The river can be a funny place since current comes into the equation, but in the bigger backwaters or flats like in pool 19, that are slowed by pads, the fish seem to hold to cover and will hit the shallows as long as there is deeper water nearby for a quick escape. When it gets Hot in the late summer, I can hardly find any fish unless the spot is near deep water. But I'm thinking the fish are deeper and not feeding, or have moved to deeper cover/structure.

Pool 19 has deep water?????? rof
Back to top Go down
Chopper
Admin!
Admin!
Chopper

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:00 pm

Yeah, I shouldn't have included pool 19 into that statement. :beat: What I meant about there is the current and cover makes it different. But in the backwaters of 17 there is some deep water.
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm

This is where good electronics comes in. Finding that deep structure. I know with the color units I have, which aren't the best, but the structure really shows up a lot better. Now all I have to do is get used to using them.
Back to top Go down
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm not sure Dave. I've heard from folks that it doesn't but I'd like to check into this a little more :study:
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyWed May 14, 2008 7:57 am

brittlab wrote:
I'm not sure Dave. I've heard from folks that it doesn't but I'd like to check into this a little more :study:

A lot of times the DNR website for the lake will tell you if the lake stratifies or not. The DNR site says yes http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/fishing/lakes/brc94.html Take it for what it is worth.
Back to top Go down
brittlab
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
brittlab

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyWed May 14, 2008 10:03 am

Basshawk wrote:
brittlab wrote:

A lot of times the DNR website for the lake will tell you if the lake stratifies or not. The DNR site says yes http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/fishing/lakes/brc94.html Take it for what it is worth.

Dave, I'm not real sure what stratification means as far as it applies to bodies of water. is this just distinct and seperate zones of temperature differences at various depths with a single body of water?
Back to top Go down
Basshawk
F4F Superstar!!!!!
F4F Superstar!!!!!
Basshawk

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure EmptyWed May 14, 2008 12:05 pm

brittlab wrote:
Basshawk wrote:
brittlab wrote:

Dave, I'm not real sure what stratification means as far as it applies to bodies of water. is this just distinct and seperate zones of temperature differences at various depths with a single body of water?

Yes, this is where the thermocline is established and is different for different lakes. Here is a pretty good explanation with pictures that I hope gives you a better idea of what I am talking about.
Stratification Article!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fishing Deep Structure   Fishing Deep Structure Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing Deep Structure
Page 1 of 1